- Language of instruction: English
- Bilingual Teaching (German-English)
- Years 1-8: English
- Year 3: French or Spanish
- Year 5: Latin, French, Spanish or Russian
- Year 7: History – in English and French/Spanish
- Native Speaking Language Assistants for all languages (E, F, Sp and Russian) GIBS is an Austrian state-funded school (“Gymnasium”). It covers eight years (four years in middle school, age 10 – 14 /grades 5 – 8, and four years in high school, age 14 – 18/ grades 9 – 12), leading up to the Austrian school-leaving examination (“Reifeprüfung”, also referred to as “Matura”). GIBS offers bilingual education (English/German) throughout all eight years of schooling as well as the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme in grades 11 and 12.
The first three months of Year 1 take the form of an intensive phase of language acquisition after which the students have reached a level of language competence which enables them to participate in lessons conducted in the target language.
Following the intensive phase, linguistic support for other subjects is provided in English classes by native English-speaking Co-teachers.
In Year 3 students can choose between French and Spanish as a second modern language. Further choice of Latin, French, Spanish or Russian is being offered starting in Year 5. In Year 7 History is taught in French/Spanish/English. In addition to this wide range of foreign languages, we offer our international students extensive course programs of German (DaZ) in the mornings and afternoons at the CEFR levels A1 – C1 (assessment according to § 18/12 SCHUG).
At present the school comprises more than 600 students and over 60 teaching staff. The team also includes English-, French-, Russian- and Spanish-speaking language assistants. This cultural and linguistic diversity enriches the school community and provides a wealth of experience and resources.
Pilot Projects and Language Programme
GIBS is currently running the following pilot projects:
Trips Abroad in Upper School:
- Klasse: France / French-speaking Switzerland / Spain
- Klasse: USA / Canada / Great Britain / Ireland
- Klasse: France / Spain / Rome / St. Petersburg
Our aim is to establish links with schools in countries where English, French, Spanish, or Russian are spoken and to maintain long-term exchange partnerships. If it ever proves impossible to organize a home-to-home exchange, a trip abroad with instruction at a language school and accommodation with host families is offered.
Additional Offer / Intercultural Projects:
These are extra afternoon classes, mainly for lower school students. The following classes are currently on offer: Choir/Typing/Drama/Debate Club/Soccer/Basketball etc.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
- DELF (Diplome d´etudes de langue franςaise)
- DELE (Diploma de enspañol lengua extranjera)
- ECDL, EBCL
Download: PDF flyer