The Parents Association of BG GIBS has given itself the task of presenting itself as the contact partner for the various groups within the school. For this reason, special interest groups have been formed in which experienced parents can offer or pass on information. Every parent is sincerely invited to join one of these groups which seek to provide the most efficient contribution to our children’s education in the broadest way possible. The main focus is placed upon deepening the communication between students, teachers and parents. Only an earnest and reciprocal cooperation between home and school can reach the goal of an open and constructive school environment in which good work can be produced. An increased cooperation between parents and school forms a broad foundation of information that can recognize problems before they become difficult to resolve. The parent representatives will always have an open ear for problems. In general, the parents’ association encourages the individual parties involved in notable conflicts to resolve their problem directly. A conversational meeting can be arranged without any problem, as well as delivering to the correct address a message that effects many individuals. In clearly recognizable individual problems, the parents’ association does not wish to stand in between the parties concerned.
Parents Association Board Members
|1b (Stv)||Martina Blattl|
|1c (Stv)||Shaila Loibnegger|
|2a (Stv)||Martina Hochreiter-Petzl|
|2b (Stv)||Marlies Hartmann|
|2c (Stv)||Barbara Barry|
|3a (Stv)||Susanne Petrovits|
|3b (Stv)||Elena Popovska|
|3c (Stv)||Emma Somerville|
|4a (Stv)||Eva Krisper|
|4b (Stv)||Veronika Hier|
|4c (Stv)||Jennifer Schumm|
|5a (Stv)||Krista Sauerwald|
|5b (Stv)||Verena Rabl|
|5c (Stv)||Reinhard Ungerböck|
|6a (Stv)||Christina Walcher|
|6b (Stv)||Karin Pieber|
|6i (Stv)||Benedetta Villari|
|7a (Stv)||Olaf Hemsen|
|7b (Stv)||Lorenzo Cian|
|7i (Stv)||Ulrike Primschitz-Kiefer|
|8a (Stv)||Petra Gatschelhofer|
|8b (Stv)||Rene-Jürgen Maier|
|8i (Stv)||Theres Herrgott|
Guidelines for Parent Representatives
Forward informations to all the class parents
- from school
- from the parents association
- from the GIBS support association
- from individuals with spezial requests
Forward informations from the parents
- to the class teacher
- to the teachers
- to the head mistress
- to the parents association
Conduct surveys within the class: Regarding internal and external questions and requests that concern school issues
- g., school free days, school events, etc.
Coordinate the preparation, execution and follow-up of events for the school for various occasions, e.g.:
- Summer party (each year, organized by all classes in co-operation with a teacher team for “Social-Events”
- Christmas bazaar (year 4)
- Buffet at the Christmas Party (year 4)
- General activities for exchange students (years 5, 6 and 7)
- Buffet at the parent-teacher conference day (year 6 )
- Jazzbrunch (year 7)
- Support the students in the organization of the “Maturaball” (year 8)
- Organize the buffet during the oral exams (year 8)
Establish a close community between the class parents
- Facilitate the contact between the parents and establish mutual trust – by organizing regular informal meetings like
- excursions, trips to the theatre, skiing etc.,
- Take requests, concerns and suggestions of parents seriously
- Appreciate and honour collaboration and commitment/dedication
WE VIEW OURSELFS AS A LINK BETWEEN OUR CHILDREN AND THE SCHOOL OF OUR CHILDREN!
Support Association/Verein zur Förderung der GIBS
Graz International Bilingual School (GIBS), unlike other international schools, is a public state school that does not charge school tuitional fees to students. However, as a developing multilingual, international school GIBS incurs particular expenses that cannot always be covered by municipal funds. For example, such expenses include:
- Maintaining native speaker co-teachers
- Helping students who need support to finance trips abroad
- Advanced education for teachers
- Obtaining important learning material specialized for GIBS and therefore not covered by public funding guidelines
- Translating foreign language learning material
- Supervising student specialized theses through the Matura in English
- Maintaining an extensive, multilingual school library
The GIBS Support Association has taken on the responsibility of supporting the school with supplementary funds in order for the school to maintain continuously its international standard. The Support Association finances itself through membership fees paid by student families.
Dear Parents, As at the beginning of every year, we – the treasurers of the VF-GIBS – ask for your membership fees which you agreed to pay as a part of your membership registration. As you know, these funds support many things that contribute to the extraordinary quality of our school, things which cannot be covered by the official school budget: above all the co-teaching with native speakers, the copying of foreign language materials on the copy machine, the financial support of trips abroad, cultural events, projects and a lot more. Exact figures can be found in the VF-GIBS final budget calculations for last year and in the budget for the current school year, both of which will be printed as always in the GIBS-News. Membership fees will be approximately 350 Euro per child per school year. Our guidelines enable a reduction of amount due for families in financial need. If you do not pay the membership fees without providing a reason, your child will not be included in the VF-GIBS support, which will mean that costs for copies, paper and tickets will need to be calculated individually and direct with your child.
- If you wish to save yourself the need to remember payment deadlines – and save us the necessity of reminding you – you can authorize a direct-debit mandate (Einzugsermächtigung) to VF-GIBS (retractable at all times). This is the simplest option for you and us: please return the enclosed form completed to us and we will take care of the rest. The best way to return the form is within an envelope addressed to “VF-GIBS, Mrs Elke Probst” which your child can leave either in the school office or with your child’s form teacher.
- Otherwise we request a direct transfer (Überweisung) or an automatic transfer (Dauerauftrag) of funds to our account:
Recipient: Verein zur Förderung der GIBS, 8020 Graz IBAN: AT26 3800 0000 0246 6977 BIC: RZSTAT2G (Raiffeisenbank) Reason for Payment: Membership fees for <Child’s Name> Please do not send monthly payment (this results in enormous paper work for our volunteer staff), rather select one of the following options:
- One payment of 350 € (in November)
- Two payments of 175 € (in November and January)
- Three payments of 116,70 € (in November, January and March)
With best wishes for a successful school year! The Treasurers of VF-GIBS: Elke Probst and Renate Krenn-Mayer (mail:email@example.com)
The Board of Trustees for the Association for the Endowment of G.I.B.S. established within its charter the readiness to support students during confirmed excursions in foreign countries, in so far as these visits are specifically school related and that the financial aid required by the parents or guardians can be properly demonstrated. “Specifically school related” is to be understood as describing excursions whose direct and foremost concern is language study, the trip being suitable in kind to G.I.B.S. and one in which the participation of all students would enrich the learning experience for the class as a whole. As such, excursions such as sport weeks, ski courses, educational field trips, etc., would not qualify, being offered as well at other high schools and financed by parents or guardians. The goal of this support is to reduce the additional expenditures resulting from those activities that are specifically G.I.B.S. related in order to prevent the development of academic disadvantages resulting from non-participation. The VF G.I.B.S. membership fees will cover the total financial assistance of all planned excursions, whose maximum amount is determined by the Board of Trustees at the beginning of each school year. The amount of individual assistance granted is thereby dependent upon the number of submitted applications, their particular destinations and respective travel costs. Due to annual budgeting conditions, a subsequent application for increased funding is not possible, as it would cut into already allocated funds. As the individual assistance per student can vary from year to year, the applicant may not request a particular amount of funding. Prerequisites for the Granting of Financial Assistance
- The applicant must be a registered member of VF G.I.B.S. whose membership fees (whether normal or pro-rated) are in good standing.
- To request student assistance for participating in school events during the current school year, an application must be submitted to the Styrian School Board (Landesschulrat) with a copy sent to VF G.I.B.S.
- Note: Recognition of need by the School Board is not necessary because the VF G.I.B.S. has established higher qualifying limits. Nevertheless, the application provides the VF G.I.B.S. with an estimation of the family’s income for its own budgeting calculations. The VF will designate two trusted persons with the evaluation of this data so as to insure the discretion of this process.
- A letter of application with the enclosed copy of the School Board application (see point 2) as well as a thorough explanation for all apparently unusual expenses is to be delivered to VF G.I.B.S.
- Note: Unusual expenses are considered valid only when they arise from true emergency situations. House additions or renovations, mortgages, education expenses, etc. will not be considered.
- Applications submitted prior to the annual deadline, yet subsequent to the actual event, will of course be accepted and reviewed as described above with a grant being issued accordingly. However, applications submitted after the annual deadline can no longer be reviewed.
- The individual amount of funding will be assessed taking into consideration a) the income of the family with its own particular constellation, b) the estimated budget designated by the VF Board of Trustees and c) the number of and kind of all other planned school excursions.
- Note: Within the parameters expressed above, the entrusted persons will work out an encompassing assistance concept to be delivered to the VF Board of Trustees for their approval.
- A legal claim to an allocation of VF funds is not an option.
|Spokesman||Dr. Günter Riegler|
|Vice-Spokesman||Mag. Birgit Schnedl|
|Honorary Spokeswoman||Mag. Elisabeth Fleischmann|
|Honorary Spokesman||Univ.Prof. Dr. Peter Bierbaumer|
|Vice-Cashier||Dr. Renate Krenn-Mayer|
|Accountants||Mag. Heinz Drobesch|
|Waltraud Gröblacher, Msc.MA|
|Secretary||Dr. Markus Tomaschitz|
|Vice-Secretary||Mag. Lisbeth Wilding|
|Advisors||Dr. Hannes Hick|
|Mag. Ulla Offenbeck|
|Mag. Gernot Pagger|
|DI Ulrike Primschitz|
|Univ.Prof. Dr. Markus Seidel|
|Coopted to the board||Mag. Imelda Görög (principal)|
|Jürgen Steinbrenner (chairman of parents‘ association)|
|Matteo Cian (student representative)|