Year 1 students are encouraged to become comfortable with a range of materials and mediums, to be given the freedom to express themselves, to show imagination and to be encouraged to experiment within the framework give below.
The students should be able to:
- Use pencil, paint and pastel and understand the ways in which these materials can be implemented into an artwork (through historical examples and demonstration)
- Focus on what is familiar to them, the family, the home and the neighbourhood (family tree, ‘my home and my room’
- Identify the usage of colour and shape in a simplified form
- Learn new vocabulary through ‘Intensive English’ and apply this to imaginative projects during the first term
- Become familiar with basic techniques associated with still life artworks (1st year project, Shoes)
- Understand the role to which colour plays a role in art and design
- Use a variety of mediums to express creativity and imaginative artistic responses
- Produce personal responses through both artistic and design based media, such as reflections on self, home and the environment
- Build up the basis of a creative portfolio
- Students are given the framework in which to operate as-well as the freedom to
- Express individual creativity and uniqueness.